My testimony

 Your testimony is a very important part of your Christian life! It's your story about how you found Christ, and how He's working in your life. It can relate to people, and testify why God is so good. I just recently put mine together for the first time, so lets dive in. 


I was not raised in a Christian household. We would go to church maybe once every few months, inconsistently, and pray at Christmas and Easter. When I was younger I always wanted to go to church, but it just never happened and eventually I forgot about it. 

A lot of people's testimonies include some sort of horrible event that they went through that taught them they can't do it alone and need God. And these stories are so inspiring and emotional, and for a while I thought maybe I was weird for not having that. But I actually found Jesus at one of the highest points in my life. 

I was a senior in high school, 3.9 GPA, full scholarship to college, and a state track qualification in the works. I was having an awesome year, because I felt like I finally knew who I was and I had found my people. 

My people just happened to be teammates on my cross country team who went to youth group. Which is how I found myself attending youth group Wednesday nights after eating dinner with my coach's family. 

Right from the start, I remembered why I liked church so much when I was younger. I LOVED learning more about God and the Bible, and I immediately started asking as many questions as I could, listening and reading. I knew that the end goal was for me to become a follower of Christ, but I also knew that there was a big heart change for that to happen. 

I had a lot of anxiety for a long time about if I was going to ever feel like I truly believed in my heart and felt ready to dedicate my life to Him. 

Flash forward, June rolls around, I've graduated high school, and my church puts on a high school retreat. They allow graduating seniors to go one last time, so I sign up. I spend time surrounded by Christian community, talking to older mentors, and doing things that push me outside of my comfort zone, one of which was praying for 10 minutes, alone in silence. 

Two days later, and the thing I was praying about is the final topic of the weekend, the last capstone to the retreat. 

I said I can't ignore it anymore, it's very obvious that God is hearing me, He is listening to me, and He cares about me. 

So I accepted Christ right then. I was baptized about two months later, one day before my 19th birthday, and three before I moved into college. 

Freshman year has been a huge challenge and it has forced me to grow so much that I can't imagine what would have happened without my relationship with God. I think I would be a crying disaster for my entire year. 

Instead, I got involved in a Christian fellowship, a church, a Bible study, and a discipler. I'm being pushed to grow my faith and step out of my comfort zone and I'm taking over the Bible study next year. I hope to use my place as an orientation leader and residential assistant to help students stay connected with their faith as they go through the hard years of college. 

God has been so good to me, and he has changed my life so drastically from what it was before that I am in awe every time I think about it. 

The testimony of Jesus is a spirit of prophesy- that means what He did for another, He can do it again. If He did it for me, He can do it for you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard

Christian Dating

The Parable of the Sower